Machu Picchu by train (2 days)
CODE: CT021: Machu Picchu by train (2 days)
You don’t have much time but don’t want to miss Machu Picchu? This 2 days 1 night tour will take you to the lost city at the heart of the Andes, enjoying a nice train ride with amazing views and having time in Aguas Calientes, or Machu Picchu Village. The next day you will join a guided tour in Machu Picchu where you will learn everything about this sacred place and the inhabitants of the former Inca Empire. Machu Picchu is waiting for you!
Excellent for: Adventure seekers - Couples - Friends - Nature lovers - Intrepid people - Families
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
We start our tour to Machu Picchu in the morning taking the bus to Ollantaytambo’s train station in the Sacred Valley of the Incas where you will start the train ride to Aguas Calientes. It’s a nice journey through the Andes with amazing views and landscapes along the way that you can enjoy through the huge panoramic windows of the train. You will for example pass the mountain Nevado Veronica, the starting point of the famous Inca Trail, the Inca Terraces of Patallacta and the archeological site of Choquesuysuy. Arriving in Aguas Calientes, the closest town to Machu Picchu, you can go and check your hotel. Then you are free the rest of the day to explore Aguas Calientes and enjoy a relaxing bath in the hot springs.
Day 2: Machu Picchu – Cusco (B)
Early in the morning your guide will pick you up at the hotel and you either walk or take the bus up to the citadel. Arriving in Machu Picchu you will be given a guided tour through the impressive archeological complex (2 hours). You will see the Intiwatana (Temple of the Sun), the Temple of the Condor, The temple of the Three Windows, Andean terraces and other interesting places. Then you will have free time to discover the site on your own. Walk through narrow paths and impressive stone walls, capture these incredible moments on your camera and feel and enjoy the special atmosphere of this sacred place. On the afternoon, you will go back to Aguas Calientes and take the train to Ollantaytambo. There we will pick you up at the train station and transfer you back to Cusco. End of the service.
- Transfer Hotel – Train Station Ollantaytambo
- Train Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- 1 night accommodation in a hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Meals as indicated by the itinerary (B-Breakfast, L-Lunch, D-Dinner)
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Train Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Transfer Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- Lunch and dinner in Aguas Calientes
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Lunch and dinner on day 2
- Personal expenses
- Entrance to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes (s/10.00, ca. US$ 4.00)
- Extra snacks for the ride
To book in advance:
- Train Cusco – Aguas Calientes (extra cost)
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes:
One way: US$ 15.00 p.p.
Round trip: US$ 25.00 p.p.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu, the “young mountain“ (7.00 or 10.00am): US$ 12.00 p.p.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu, the “old mountain“: US$ 10.00 p.p. Before or after your trip we are happy to assist you with:
- Accommodation in Cusco, according to the standard you wish
- Any kind of tours before or after your trip
- Transfer Airport– Hotel – Airport in Cusco:
One way: US$ 6.00 p.p.
Both ways: US$ 12.00 p.p
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (5 days)The Salkantay is a beautiful alternative to the Inca trail to Machu Picchu: few tourists, further and harder!
Inca Jungle (4 days)One of the best alternatives to the Inca trail: Mountain biking, cable car, rafting, zip lining, thermal waters – Be ready for an extraordinary adventure!