Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (4 days)
CODE: CT004: Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (4 days)
This trek is the counterpart to the traditional Inca Trail to Machu Picchu – it is more remote, challenging and rugged but also less crowded and therefore more authentic than the Inca Trail! You will hike ancient and remote footpaths, climb high on the sacred Salcantay, the highest mountain in the region and then descend through cloud forest to near jungle. The trek will lead you through barren mountains and lush growth, over brooks and rivers, and hot springs will be found on the way. You will get to feel the temperature difference in the various heights, maybe even experience snow, and the highest point being 4650m. /15200ft. above sea level. The trek is ending in the sanctuary of Machu Picchu where you will join a guided tour and also have time to explore this unique and sacred place by yourself. During the whole Salkantay tour to Machu Picchu, you will be travelling with an expert guide and a small travel group with likeminded people you can share your experiences with. Are you searching for an extraordinary challenge? Then this hike to Machu Picchu is definitely the right option for you!
Excellent for: Adventure seekers - Couples - Friends - Nature lovers - Intrepid people - Families
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Sayllapata – Soraypampa (L, D)
We will pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 am and will go by bus to Mollepata. The trip will take about 3 hours and when we arrive at Mollepata, you will have time to have a delicious breakfast. While having breakfast the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff. Ready for hiking, we start the first 3 hours hiking uphill to get to Cruzpata. In panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains Humantay (4120m/13500ft) and Salkantay (6271m/20575ft) we will have lunch. This is only the beginning of the picturesque views that are awaiting us! We will continue our hike towards Soraypampa, our first campsite (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip), very close to the second highest snow-capped mountain of Salkantay. Walking time: 07h00.
Day 2: Soraypampa – Chaullay/ Collpapampa (B, L, D)
After having breakfast at around 6.00am we start walking. This will be the day with the longest hike. The first 4.5 hours is uphill to get to Huayracmachay. On the way, we will pass the highest point of our trek (4600m / 15100ft above sea level). We will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay, which is known as the second highest point of the Cusco region. Arriving in Huayracmachay we’ll have lunch and then continue our walk downhill through a dramatic cloud forest towards Challway. Walking time: 09h00
Day 3: Chaullay / Collpapampa – Playa Sahuayaco – Hidroelectrica (B, L, D)
After an early breakfast, at 4.30 am, we start walking through the upper jungle, crossing the Lluskamayo River and a variety of little brooks, reaching Playa Sahuayaco after approx. 6 hours. We will pass through valleys and have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits and plants. Arriving at Playa Sahuayaco, the packing horses will return to Mollepata and we will take a local bus to the hydroelectric plant “Hidroeléctrica”. From Hidroeléctrica we’ll travel to Aguas Calientes, or Machu Picchu Village, where we arrive at around 5.00pm and you’ll have time to relax, have a nice dinner and enjoy a relaxing bath in the hot springs. Walking time: 06h00
Day 4: Visiting Machu Picchu and return to Cusco (B)
Morning begins very early, around 4.30am, with breakfast at 5.00am. The plan is to experience a beautiful sunrise at the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. To get there you can either walk for about 1.5 hour or take the bus from Aguas Calientes that takes about 25 minutes. Arriving at Machu Picchu, we will see the magnificent citadel quietly being filled with the light of the day. After a short rest, a walking tour is given by your guide (approx. 2 hours), after that, you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. For those who still have energy there is the option to climb the Huayna Picchu (2720m/8890ft)! It takes about 45 minutes to reach the top (prior booking is necessary, US$ 10.00 per person). Later in the afternoon, you will take the train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo from where we’ll return to Cusco by bus (arrival at around 10.00pm). End of the service.
- Bus Cusco – Mollepata (trailhead)
- Meals : 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Professional english speaking tour guide
- 1 night in a basic hostel in Santa Teresa
- 1 night in basic hostel in Aguas Calientes (private bathroom and hot water)
- Train Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Transfer Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- First aid kit
- Bus Santa Maria – Santa Teresa
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Camping equipment : 4 people tents for 2 people, mattress
- Horses and porters
- You are allowed to have 5kg per person during the 3 days
- International flights
- Domestic flights (Cusco-Lima ; Lima-Cusco)
- Extra snacks and water
- Extra horse to ride or for any extra backpack
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu round trip
- Breakfast on the first day and lunch on the last day
- Entrance to the hot spring in Santa Teresa (10 Nuevos Soles)
- Entrance to the hot spring in Aguas Calientes (10 Nuevos Soles)
- Sleeping bag
- Transfer La Playa – Hidroelectrica USD 10.00
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu, the “young mountain“(7.00 or 10.00am): US$ 12.00 p.p.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu, the “old mountain“: US$ 10.00 p.p.
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes:
One way: US$ 15.00 p.p.
Round trip: US$ 24.00 p.p.
- Backpack to rent (3 liters): US$ 12.00 p.p. for 3 days of trekking
- Sleeping bag to rent: US$ 25.00 p.p.
- High-quality rain ponchos to rent: US$ 15.00 p.p.
- Plastic rain ponchos to buy: US§ 2.00 p.p.
- Extra horse to carry any extra backpack: US$ 45.00
- Extra horse to ride + horse driver: US$ 90.00
- Accommodation in Cusco, according to the standard you wish
- Any kind of tours before or after your trip
- Transfer Airport– Hotel – Airport in Cusco:
- One way: US$ 6.00 p.p.
- Both ways: US$ 12.00 p.
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (5 days)The Salkantay is a beautiful alternative to the Inca trail to Machu Picchu: few tourists, further and harder!
Inca Jungle (4 days)One of the best alternatives to the Inca trail: Mountain biking, cable car, rafting, zip lining, thermal waters – Be ready for an extraordinary adventure!