Trek to Choquequirao (4 days)
CODE: CT007: Trek to Choquequirao (4 days)
Choquequirao (meaning “cradle of gold”), also called the “lost city”, was discovered in the 18th century by a French explorer and fascinated 19th century explorers since then. It was also visited by Hiram Bingham prior to his discovery of city has lots of parallels with Machu Picchu and there are a variety of theories about its function. Lying in a cloud forest, a dramatic 1150 meters / 3772 feet above the Apurimac River and surrounded by a fascinating landscape created by the Vilcabamba mountain range, Choquequirao has everything to offer to a trekker. It is a challenging but amazing experience to hike down to the depths of the Apurimac Canyon and then up to the site in the clouds. During the whole trip you will be travelling with a guide and a small travel group with likeminded people you can share your experiences with. If you are looking for an “unconventional” impressive trek, this is the perfect one for you!
Excellent for: Adventure seekers - Couples - Friends - Nature lovers - Intrepid people - Families
Day 1: Cusco – Cachora – Chiquiska (L, D)
We will pick you up from your hotel about 7:30 am and travel by bus, for about 4 hours, to the small village of Cachora, where we will meet our horseman and mules. We will begin our trek along the edge of the Apurimac canyon and follow the trail, enjoying the dramatic landscapes and a variety of plant and animal life, until we reach our campsite Chiquiska or “La Playa Rosa Linda” (1650m / 5413ft).
Day 2: Chiquiska – Choquequirao (B, L, D)
We will get up early, have breakfast and begin our walk by crossing the Apurimac River, descending to the lowest point on the trail. Following the trail, we will have a steep ascent through a thick cloud forest towards Choquequirao. We will have lunch here and time to relax and enjoy the archeological zone, plants, animals (hopefully condors), and views of nearby canyons and snow-capped mountains (Soray – 5428m / 17808ft and Tuncarway 5910m / 19389ft). We will camp close to the site (3033m / 9950ft).
Day 3: Choquequirao – Santa Rosa (B, L, D)
Today, we will have breakfast followed by a 3-hour guided tour around Choquequirao itself where you will learn more about this special place and have some time to explore it by yourself. After this, we descend to our last campsite, “Santa Rosa”.
Day 4: Santa Rosa – Cachora – Cusco (B)
We will wake to birdsong and beautiful scenery and walk to Cachora to take a bus back to Cusco where we will arrive at 7 or 8pm. End of our services
- Bus Cusco – Cachora – Cusco
- Entrance fees to Choquequirao
- Professional, English speaking Tour Guide
- Horses and porters
- Meals with a vegetarian option available : 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Camping equipment (4-people tent for 2 people) mattress
- Dining and cooking tent, tables, chairs, oxygen balloon, First Aid Kit
- Domestic flights (Cusco-Lima ; Lima-Cusco)
- Breakfast on the first day
- Lunch on the last day
- Sleeping bag (can be hired from us)
- Personal expenses
- Backpack to rent (3 liters): US$ 12.00 p.p. for 3 days of trekking
- Sleeping bag to rent: US$ 25.00 p.p.
- High-quality rain ponchos to rent: US$ 15.00 p.p.
- Plastic rain ponchos to buy: US§ 2.00 p.p.
- Extra horse to carry any extra backpack: US$ 35.00 p.p. for 3 days of trekking
- Extra horse to ride: US$ 70.00 p.p. for 3 days of trekking
- Accommodation in Cusco, according to the standard you wish
- Any kind of tours before or after your trip
- Transfer Airport– Hotel – Airport in Cusco:
One way: US$ 6.00 p.p.
Both ways: US$ 12.00 p.p
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (5 days)The Salkantay is a beautiful alternative to the Inca trail to Machu Picchu: few tourists, further and harder!
Inca Jungle (4 days)One of the best alternatives to the Inca trail: Mountain biking, cable car, rafting, zip lining, thermal waters – Be ready for an extraordinary adventure!